Older adults, particularly those with arthritis, can benefit from the Enhance®Fitness arthritis management program. This group class incorporates simple, easy-to-learn movements that inspire people to stay active.
Participants have noticed these types of changes:
- Increases in upper and lower body strength
- More flexibility and range of motion
- Better sleep
- More feelings of happiness
- Sense of independence
- In addition to the physical benefits, research has shown that among older adults who participate in Enhance®Fitness, health costs were lowered each year by close to $1,000.
Each class session includes cardiovascular, strength training, balance and flexibility exercises and the fostering of strong social relationships between participants.
Those with a chronic condition, such as arthritis, need not worry; they will never have to do anything that hurts. Participants can use chairs for support, if necessary, and increase the weight they use for strength training at their own pace.
Enhance®Fitness has been nationally recognized by:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- US Department of Health and Human Services
- Administration for Community Living
- National Council on Aging
- Increase cardiovascular endurance, strength, flexibility and balance to help reduce severity of arthritis symptoms
- Provide an atmosphere encouraging social interaction
Who Can Participate?
- Older adults, especially those with arthritis
The NC Alliance of YMCAs participates in the NC Falls Prevention Coalition; the coalition works statewide to reduce the number of injuries and deaths from falls.